Stephen Koranda, CDME, CTA served as the Executive Director of the Norman (OK) Convention and Visitors Bureau, Inc. – Norman’s official destination marketing organization – for nearly five years. He previously served as Vice President, Tourism for the Olathe (KS) Chamber of Commerce/Convention and Visitors Bureau. Koranda’s vast marketing experience includes eleven years in radio broadcasting.
While at the Norman Convention and Visitors Bureau, Inc., Koranda:
• Lead the organization through a ‘brand-realignment’ process establishing a research-based mark and corporate identity for Norman and the CVB. The ‘re-branding’ included advertising conceptualization. The logo received an ADDY award through the Oklahoma City Advertising Club.
• Lead the organization through the re-design of VisitNorman.com. Subsequent work included a new mobile website. In three years since the release of the new site, traffic increased more than 630%.
• Analyzed all aspects of the DMO. Re-engineered human resources of the CVB. Reestablished goals and benchmarks for sales staff and department. Developed and implemented goal and sales-based marketing plan. Adopted international reporting standards. FYE 2013 room nights sold and serviced posted best results in CVB history.
• Guided the process of moving the location of the CVB offices following storm damage to the offices in the summer of 2011.
• Established community partnerships leading to increased visibility for the CVB through the Sooner Mall and a Wayfinding Signage Plan being developed for the City of Norman.
• Conceptualized, designed and implemented researched-based advertising campaign promoting the Norman tourism industry that resulted in increased tax revenues for the City of Norman and higher hotel occupancy rates.
Formal education through Washburn University – Bachelors of Business Administration major: Marketing. Further education includes Certified Destination Management Executive (CDME) through Destination Marketing Association International, Certified Tourism Ambassador (CTA) – Greater Kansas City Convention and Visitors Association and Greater Oklahoma City Area Tourism Ambassadors, Kansas Destination Specialist – Travel Industry Association of Kansas, Volunteer Management Institute – Volunteer Center of Johnson County (KS). Graduate of Leadership Norman and Oklahoma Arts Leadership programs.
Leadership skills demonstrated through service on board of directors for the Oklahoma Travel Industry Association, Norman Chamber of Commerce, and Downtown Norman Association (Board President 2012 and 2013). Further involvement with the Norman Arts Roundtable (Chair 2012 and 2013), Norman Rotary Club, and Norman Business Association.
Further community involvement includes service through Cub Scout Pack 221 and Roosevelt Elementary WatchDOG. Received Eagle Scout in 1986. Active member of Wildwood Community Church.
Married to Angela. Family includes Joshua and Jamie.
Enjoys running, cycling, competing in duathlons, listening to music and participating in or watching his kids activities.
Access Stephen Koranda’s full resume here.